Thursday, March 3, 2011

Black Heels to Tractor Wheels




Knowing I am a fan of the pioneer woman, Keary surprised me with this book for valentine's day. Honestly, I had planned on waiting until I was able to check it out from the library to read it, particularly since she already posted about she and the Marlboro Man met, their courtship, and wedding, but I was still tickled to get it.

Ree's writing and storytelling makes the reader feel and experience the story as she tells it. She comes across as very genuine and personable so much so that when she writes about sweating buckets and having to strip naked to cool off in the bathroom at the marlboro man's cousin's wedding, you both feel for her and feel like it is happening to you.  I'll venture to guess that she isn't just coming across that way either, and she truly is that way.

Black Heels to Tractor Wheels is a lovely story, and I can only guess how special it will be to their children and grandchildren later on to be able to read their parents' love story.  I'd like to be able to tell a story like that later on, but I don't think Keary and my story is nearly as interesting or swoon-worthy.

The one thing I missed in the book was Ree's pictures and photography.  I know pictures aren't generally included in novels, but I think an insert in the middle would have been fantastic.

Overall, a great story I would recommend to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment