Monday, November 29, 2010

weekend awakenings

My family was given quite the reminder to count our blessings.  After a lovely Thanksgiving Thursday, my mom called Friday night to tell me Grandy was being taken the the hospital after what appeared to be a stroke.  Apparently when she came home from a friends house late Friday afternoon, her husband kept asking if she had been drinking,  Then when she went to get ready for bed, she fell and couldn't move her right side to get up.  An ambulance was called and she was taken to the emergency department.  Tests revealed that she suffered a cerebral hemmorhage on the right side.

Because of where it is located, surgery is not an option.  Luckily, it appears that medication will at least stop the bleed.  She has significant right side weakness but is already showing some signs of improvement.  She is lucid, knows who she is and recognizes everyone around her even if she can't remember their names, she needs to be reminded where she is and I still haven't seen her be able to tell you what year it is.  She does know that Christmas is quickly approaching though because she keeps asking me how she is going to get all her Christmas shopping done.  I have tried to explain to her that I can help her do it online or with catalogs or even go physically buy the gifts myself, but the short-term memory problems are keeping it on her mind.  She is in the ICU and will be a few more days.  Then she will most likely be sent to a rehab hospital for possibly a few weeks.  She is okay though.

We are beyond thankful she is okay.  And I have seen our family pull together more over the past weekend than I have seen them do so in over ten years.  It is unfortunate that it took an emergency to make everyone pull together, but we are thankful and blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment