Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snow Days

Woke up this morning to learn Gwendolyn's school was closed for a snow day.  There was no snow outside, but I think the entire area was being extra cautious since we were under a winter weather advisory.  Living in the South, we tend to freak out over any amount of ice or snow: people forget how to drive, we are compelled to stock up on bread, milk, and eggs whether we eat such things or not, all schools and most businesses close down.  Here is something I learned today:  Four year olds do not appreciate it when school is closed and they have to stay home with their mom and sister.  That is a lie; I don't know that all four year olds are like that, but Gwendolyn was.

I took the girls to the library to story time, and it started snowing while we were there.  Visibility was awful on the way home.  It wouldn't have been so bad if, as mentioned above, people would remember how to drive and TURN ON THEIR LIGHTS SO OTHER DRIVERS SEE THEM.  The roads weren't bad though.  They weren't bad even when Keary came home around 5p, but I imagine overnight things will melt and refreeze making roads bad tomorrow. And tomorrow our high is only 32 so I doubt things will melt away.

I tried to take some pictures with my dslr of the snow falling.  The pictures never looked the way I wanted, though they did look better when I bumped my shutter speed way up.  My hands were freezing cold and in pain so I didn't stay out there too long.

I don't handle cold weather well.  I can never get warm, and I am constantly afraid we are going to lose power if it ices.  I don't like having to take the girls out in the weather.  I am currently campaigning to let us move to Florida.  Keary does sales and merchandising so theoretically he can do that anywhere.  I have a degree in social work that I could use anywhere.  It is warm in Florida, there are beaches, there is Disney World, aka The Happiest Place on Earth.  Sounds good to me.  I'm not entirely sure how to go about picking where to live: do I pick it by where the best school are to send the girls? Keary and I ought to be able to find jobs anywhere.  Do I decide whether to live near the Mouse or water and then pick from there?  I'm working on figuring it out but will happily entertain tips and advice.

I really dislike the cold.  Currently

No comments:

Post a Comment