Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cheddar Ham Soup

I don't know where I got this recipe.  It was in my computer recipe book without a source listed.  I tried it out for us last night because I had some potatoes that seriously needed to be used.  It turned out to be the perfect comfort food.  And if that doesn't sell it, then consider also that my 16 month old and 4 year old ate it without complaint and seemed to like it.

Cheddar Ham Soup
4ish cups diced peeled potatoes
4ish cups water (enough to cover the potatoes, carrots, and onion)
1/2 Cup sliced carrot
1/4 Cup chopped onion (I never use actual onion because I don't like the texture, instead I use dried minced onion.)
1/4 Cup butter
1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/4 to 1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
1 cup peas

In a large pot, combine the potatoes, water, carrot and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir into undrained potato mixture. Add ham and peas; heat through.

1 comment: