Friday, June 17, 2011

Pool Days

I shouldn't have to say it, but it is hot.  Well at least it is hot here.  I keep seeing people north of us talk about how it is just barely breaking 70 and is cloudy and rainy. Not here, not so much.  It has been in the upper nineties for weeks and rained this week for the first time in three weeks.  It is hot and steamy.  

(Yes, steamy.  Humidity of 100 and frizz.  You don't even have to be a meteorologist to know that, just look at the girls' and my hair.  Very large.)

We are lucky though because my cousin has a pool that we can use as often as we can get out there.  And we definitely use it often as I have another adult to help me with the girls.  Gwendolyn can't quite swim yet even though she is five years old (tomorrow is her birthday!).  I think it is time for her to swim independently of floaties and I think she can, she just won't.  Maggie will likely be swimming before she is.  Maggie has no fear though and will jump in the pool and put her face in the water.  



Going to the pool is now with two kids is much different than before I had kids.  Before I would just throw on a bathing suit, grab a towel, some sunscreen and tanning lotion, a bottle of water, and maybe a radio to listen to.  Now... ha.  I swear I spend more time getting us ready for the poo than we spend at the pool some days.  Finding bathing suits and towels.  Gathering snacks and drinks.  Slathering on sunscreen spf 65 on all of us (and I still looked lobstery after the pool Saturday).  Blowing up floaties and rings.  Then once we finally get in there is no lounging and peacefully floating.  Instead I help them both swim and calm them after water gets sucked up their noses.  And within 45 minutes Maggie will decide she is done swimming and want to go sit on the side of the pool.  

Of course, the few times I have swam without both kids and had the opportunity to float and relax, I couldn't and just didn't know what to do with myself.

Linking up with Crazy Days of Summer: Water over at Project Alicia

7 comments:

  1. Yes, swimming with kids takes effort and sucks up a portion of the day, but I can't think of many other activities as refreshing on a hot summer day. Sorry for the hot steamy spell there but how lucky you are to have access to such a great pool! Thanks so much for linking your fun water pics up to our Crazy Days of Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable. Love the curls! What fun to have a pool handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first picture says it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that first shot is so sweet! Pools, parks, playdates--it is like packing for a weeks vacation at times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of determination in the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, swimming with kids is a whole other ball game, isn't it? =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally hear you about all the prep that's needed just to go to the pool with the kids! We're the same way, too. :)

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete