Monday, April 25, 2011

Fruitcake Reads: Still Alice


I'm constantly on the look out for new things to read. Often times when I run across blogs in my reader talking about books, I immediately read the description and if it sounds like something I would  enjoy, I have an ongoing note in my phone that I add it to.  Then when my stack on my nightstand dwindles down, I check out the next couple books on my note.

I must have added Still Alice to my note months ago because I had no idea what I was getting into when I started reading it.  Honestly, I thought it something about Alice in Wonderland or I probably wouldn't have picked it up to read at this moment in my life.  It struck just a bit too close to home with everything going on with Grandy right now.  With that being said though, it was still a good book and I enjoyed it.

Lisa Genova, noted neuroscientist and Alzheimer's researcher, writes a very accurate portrayal of what is like to have Alzheimer's.  Still Alice is about an esteemed psychologist from Harvard named Alice who starts experiencing bits of memory loss that we all do- can't find her phone, inability to find her words, forgets to have certain converasations with her husband .  Then she realizes it is something much bigger when she forgets to go on a business trip.  You follow along with her from the little mind slips to the diagnosis to see how her family learns the diagnosis and prognosis and how they deal and try to handle it to her memory loss becoming more severe and eventually her not remembering who her family is.

A very good book, albeit scary and heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment